Sunday, January 13, 2013

"Django Unchained" Movie Review

"Django Unchained" movie poster.
"Former dentist, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), buys the freedom of a slave, Django (Jamie Foxx), and trains him with the intent to make him his deputy bounty hunter. Instead, he is led to the site of Django's wife (Kerry Washington) who is under the hands of Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), a ruthless plantation owner." Written by BenLobel (Source below.)

I found this awesome
poster here.
Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino ("Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2", "Reservoir Dogs"), starring Jamie Foxx ("DreamGirls", "Collateral"), Christoph Waltz ("Inglourious Basterds", "The Three Muskateers (2011)"), Kerry Washington ("The Last King of Scotland", "Ray"), Leonardo DiCaprio ("Inception", "Revolutionary Road"), Samuel L. Jackson ("The Avengers", "The Other Guys") who plays Candie's head house slave, Stephen, Walton Goggins ("Cowboys & Aliens", "The Bourne Identity") and Dennis Christopher ("Fade to Black", "Deadwood") who are Candie's right-hand men, and Laura Cayouette ("Kill Bill Vol. 2", "Enemy of the State") who plays Candie's widowed sister. Don Johnson ("Miami Vice", "Machete") and Jonah Hill ("How to Train Your Dragon", "Moneyball") show up in the funniest part of the whole movie.

Christoph Waltz (L)
and Jamie Foxx.
It was really good, I found the whole movie quite satisfying and the only problem I had with it was, it was a bit long. The soundtrack was really good. The clothing was well done and cinematography was beautiful. It was graphic, but this is a Tarantino film so you can't expect any less than that.

There is some nudity as well as graphic violence. And as far as the N-word is concerned, after the first few times they say it, it doesn't grate on you because it's obvious that for them in that time period that it is just a word they use. It's still derogatory, but it wasn't as big a deal as it is today. 

Leonardo DiCaprio.
After seeing this film, I can understand why Leonardo DiCaprio was snubbed for an Oscar nomination. Not because he didn't do a great job as a horrific villain 'cause he was fantastic, he just wasn't in the film that long. I think there could've been more scenes with him. Also, I liked his "good cop, bad cop" routine with Samuel L. Jackson, but as far as his villainy is concerned, I still think he could've been worse. I knew which moves he was going to make before he did them, so it wasn't as much of a shock as it could have been.

I still loathe the Academy for snubbing him, but at least they nominated Waltz, he was amazing. 

Samuel L. Jackson (L)
and Kerry Washington.

I wish they could've given Kerry Washington more to do, instead of just be a prisoner, but I think Tarantino was limited with what could've been done as far as what she would've been capable of doing.

Overall, a very good film and I am sure it will garner a number of awards. Also, I learned something as I watched this film; I had no idea that Alexander Dumas was black. I have all of his work (the author of "The Three Muskateers" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" to name a few) on my to-read list.

I give this movie 5 out of 5 typewriters.

I found this interview with the cast and director of "Django Unchained" 
and I wanted to share it as it is quite funny:

No comments:

Post a Comment