Sunday, September 2, 2012

"Revolutionary Road" Book and Movie Review

"Revolutionary Road" movie poster
and the front cover of my
edition of the book.
I know this is a departure from what I normally do. But it felt to be the right thing to do and I'll explain why throughout the review.

"It's 1955. Frank (Leonardo DiCaprio) and April Wheeler (Kate Winslet), in the seventh year of their marriage, have fallen into a life that appears to most as being perfect. They live in the Connecticut suburbs with two young children. Frank commutes to New York City where he works in an office job while April stays at home as a housewife. But they're not happy. April has forgone her dream of becoming an actress, and Frank hates his job - one where he places little effort - although he has never figured out what his passion in life is. One day, April suggests that they move to Paris - a city where Frank visited during the war and loved, but where April has never been - as a means to rejuvenate their life. April's plan: she would be the breadwinner, getting a lucrative secretarial job for one of the major international organizations, while Frank would have free time to find himself and whatever his passion. Initially skeptical, Frank ultimately agrees to April's plan. When circumstances change around the Wheelers, April decides she will do whatever she has to to get herself out of her unhappy existence." Written by Huggo (Link below.)


(L to R) David Harbour and Kathryn Hahn.
The Book: Beautifully written by Richard Yates, his first novel, now a literary classic, it was nominated for the National Book Award in 1961 and earned high praise, including from celebrated author Kurt Vonnegut who said that "Revolutionary Road" was "The Great Gatsby" of his time.

The Movie: Directed by Sam Mendes ("Road to Perdition", "American Beauty") with a screenplay written by Justin Haythe ("The Clearing", "The Lone Ranger") it is a masterpiece.

The music was wonderful, the clothes were beautiful (never have I been more jealous of Kate Winslet than when I saw her in that blue dress), the acting was amazing - and I don't just mean DiCaprio and Winslet. Michael Shannon, who played John Givings, did an excellent job playing someone presumed to be unwell because he expresses himself emotionally and also is the moral center of the story.

Michael Shannon.
And I was going to try to stay away from referencing a past and much cited movie in this review, but since Kathy Bates also has a part in this film (playing Mrs. Helen Givings), it's now almost impossible not to mention it. And for those living under a rock and is somehow getting the internet as well, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates all starred in this little known film called "Titanic". The reason I am so reluctant to mention it is because two fine and critically acclaimed actors who want to work together because it worked so well the first time really shouldn't count as news, ever.

It's both a close and satirical look at the suburban lifestyle and a tragic love story. It moved me, but not to simple tears, just a terrible sadness settling in my stomach. The book and the movie are very companionable pieces. It's one of the best adaptations from page to screen that I've ever seen.

Script can be accessed here: http://scripts-onscreen.com/tag/revolutionary-road-script/.

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Favorite Quotes:

April Wheeler: Frank Wheeler, I think you're the most interesting person I've ever met.

John Givings: You want to play house you got to have a job. You want to play nice house, very sweet house, you got to have a job you don't like.

John Givings: Hopeless emptiness. Now you've said it. Plenty of people are onto the emptiness, but it takes real guts to see the hopelessness.

April Wheeler: It takes backbone to lead the life you want, Frank.

April Wheeler: If being crazy means living life as if it matters, then I don't mind being completely insane.

April Wheeler: I wanted IN. I just wanted us to live again. For years I thought we've shared this secret that we would be wonderful in the world. I don't know exactly how, but just the possibility kept me hoping. How pathetic is that? So stupid. To put all your hopes in a promise that was never made. Frank knows what he wants, he found his place, he's just fine. Married, two kids, it should be enough. It is for him. And he's right; we were never special or destined for anything at all. 

Kate Winslet.
Bart Pollock: Talk it over with your wife. After all, what would we be without our wives.

April Wheeler: So now I'm crazy because I don't love you, right? Is that the point?
Frank Wheeler: No! Wrong! You're not crazy, and you do love me. That's the point, April.
April Wheeler: But I don't. I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at a party once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream.
Frank Wheeler: Oh, come on, stop this April.
[He touches her for an instant and she screams at the top of her lungs before walking away. He chases after her]
Frank Wheeler: Fuck you, April! Fuck you and all your hateful, goddamn -
[He breaks a chair against a wall]
April Wheeler: What are you going to do now? Are you going to hit me? To show me how much you love me?
Frank Wheeler: Don't worry, I can't be bothered! You're not worth the trouble it would take to hit you! You're not worth the powder it would take to blow you up. You are an empty, empty, hollow shell of a woman. I mean, what the hell are you doing in my house if you hate me so much? Why the hell are you married to me? What the hell are you doing carrying my child? I mean, why didn't you just get rid of it when you had the chance? Because listen to me, listen to me, I got news for you - I wish to God that you had!

Leonardo DiCaprio.
Frank Wheeler: You don't...hate me or anything?
April Wheeler: No.....no, of course not.
(She moves closer.)
April Wheeler: Have a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment