Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"The Woman in Black" Movie Review

"The Woman in Black" movie poster.

"In London, lawyer Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe) still grieves the death of his beloved wife Stella (Sophie Stuckey) on the delivery of their son Joseph (Misha Handley) four years ago. His employer gives him a last chance to keep his job, and he is assigned to travel to the remote village of Cryphin Gifford to examine the documentation of the Eel Marsh House that belonged to the recently deceased Mrs. Drablow. Arthur befriends Daily (Ciaran Hinds) on the train and the man offers a ride to him to the Gifford Arms inn. Arthur has a cold reception and the owner of the inn tells that he did not receive the request of reservation and there is no available room. The next morning, Arthur meets solicitor Mr. Jerome (Tim McCullan) who advises him to return to London. However, Arthur goes to the isolated manor and soon he finds that Eel Marsh House is haunted by the vengeful ghost of a woman (Liz White) dressed in black. He also learns that the woman lost her son (Ashley Foster) drowned in the marsh and she seeks revenge, taking the children of the scared locals." Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Link below.)

Daniel Radcliffe.
I really liked it actually! I heard it wasn't getting good reviews, but I don't know what those people expected. It was a good horror movie! It wasn't filled with gore and faux-blood spillage everywhere, but it was scary and perfect to bring girlfriends (but prepare for high pitched shrieks)! 

I brought my brother along and he thought it was very scary! And he's a horror movie buff! Just for the record, my brother wasn't cowering in a corner, he meant 'scary' as in 'well-done' for a horror movie. That being said, none of the scares were new ones, but they were very effectively used and that's better than most horror movies and movies in general.

Daniel Radcliffe.
The acting was great, also stars Janet McTeer as Mrs. Daily; the cinematography was great, it was both beautiful and desolate on Isle Marsh; the spooks weren't original but well-done. The clothes were amazing. Daniel Radcliffe should wear something like this all of the time and he will never have to worry about going home alone ever again.


Overall, I enjoyed myself, I feel as if my hard-earned cash was spent properly, and I would definitely subject myself to this movie again!


I'm going to read the book one of these days and I'll compare the movie to it at a later time. (Book review here.)

Favorite Lines:

Daniel Radcliffe.

Jennet: I will never forgive.

Daily: I believe the most rational mind can play tricks in the dark.
Daily: Don't go chasing shadows, Arthur.

Joseph Kipps: Who is that Lady?
Arthur Kipps: That's your mother.






No comments:

Post a Comment