Thursday, September 6, 2012

"J. Edgar" Movie Review

"J. Edgar" movie poster.

"Biopic of J. Edgar Hoover told by Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio) as he recalls his career for a biography. Early in his career, Hoover fixated on Communists, anarchists and any other revolutionary taking action against the U.S. government. He slowly builds the agency's reputation, becoming the sole arbiter of who gets hired and fired. One of his hires is Clyde Tolson (Armie Hammer) who is quickly promoted to Assistant Director and would be Hoover's confidant and companion for the rest of Hoover's life. Hoover's memories have him playing a greater role in the many high profile cases the FBI was involved in - the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, the arrest of bank robbers like John Dillinger - and also show him to be quite adept at manipulating the various politicians he's worked with over his career, thanks in large part to his secret files." Written by garykmcd (Link below.)

Leonardo DiCaprio (L)
and Judi Dench.
A long-ish movie (2 hours and 17 minutes), it stars the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer,Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench. And directed byClint Eastwood; screenplay written by Dustin Lance Black (also wrote the script to the Sean Penn flick "Milk"). 

I thought it a bit strange for Mr. DiCaprio to be in this film. He's no stranger to gay relationships (and now no longer immune to a bit of cross-dressing) and he loves biographical stories featuring odd people, but he's very handsome and the real J. Edgar Hoover looked like a flesh-colored beach ball. (Assume that I prefer to look at the DiCaprio version.) And also, it surprised me how deep Mr. Hammer's voice was. I haven't seen "The Social Network" yet, so I didn't know he sounded like that. He's also very attractive. A nice surprise. However, the acting was excellent. I believed that he was an old man during some parts in the film.and that the special effects people somehow CGI-ed DiCaprio's acting skills onto the old actor's face.

Leonardo DiCaprio (L)
and Naomi Watts.
A wise man once said, "Absolute power, corrupts absolutely." While I don't think of Mr. J. Edgar Hoover as a bad person or an evil one, I certainly am glad that I cannot get on his bad side. Avery interesting man with a ton of issues in every way possible, but also one that was very driven and strong.

I found the story entertaining and very intriguing - I would like to read a book about Hoover now - but I found the movie a bit long. That's about my only criticism. I found Tolson's and Hoover's relationship compelling and sad. I also realized through watching this movie that I don't usually see older people in films. And how sad their lives are. And then also realizing that that is probably why they don't make good film fodder.

Leonardo DiCaprio as
"Older" J. Edgar Hoover.
I absolutely loved all of the hats and costumes in this film! And I was so impressed with the make-up effects that I looked through the credits for the person in charge of doing it and I was going to put his name in this blog entry.... But there were too many to name and I'm somewhat lazy about a few things like this. 

I give this film a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Favorite Lines:

J. Edgar Hoover: Find Agent Purvis. He is to be demoted or, better yet, fired.

J. Edgar Hoover: What's important at this time is to re-clarify the difference between hero and villain. 

Albert Osborne: Is that all Mr. Hoover? I have a 2:30 class to teach. 
J. Edgar Hoover: No, you don't. Consider your pay doubled; you now work for your country. Congratulations, Dr. Osborne.

Annie Hoover: I would rather have a dead son than a daffodil for a son.

Annie Hoover: Is it a date? 
J. Edgar Hoover: I think so, I think so. I'm going to show her my old card catalog system at the Library of Congress.
Armie Hammer as
Clyde Tolson.
Annie Hoover: Romance, son.

Congressman: But your agency is already one of the most well-funded in Washington, is it not? 
J. Edgar Hoover: Yes, that is true sir, but our car and bank robbery recoveries totaled 6.5 million last year, and our budget is only, well, 2 million. Unlike other departments in Washington, we actually run a profit. 

J. Edgar Hoover: It's easy to be the expert if you're the only person in the world with any interest. 
Clyde Tolson: He does also claim he can tell as much from a cut of wood as a doctor can from an autopsy. 
J. Edgar Hoover: Ah. 
Clyde Tolson: He has, um, social difficulties. 
J. Edgar Hoover: He is mentally ill, isn't he? 
Clyde Tolson: He's only as mad as you are - sir. 

Helen Gandy: The Bureau is stronger than just you and me now. Your child is sure and keeps the country safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment