Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Men In Black 3" Movie Review

"Men in Black 3" movie poster.

"An alien criminal named Boris the Animal (Jemaine Clement) kills the young Agent K in 1969, altering the timeline, changing the Agency and placing the Earth in danger. Veteran Agent J (Will Smith) must travel back in time to 1969 to before the murder and work with the young Agent K (Josh Brolin) to save him, the Agency, the Earth and humanity itself." Written by Anonymous (Link below.)

I had a tremendous time at the movie theater with this one. Although now I have that new Pitbull song stuck in my head. Oh well. It's entirely possible that the buzz around the internet that this movie may be the best in the trilogy that is the "Men In Black" franchise may actually be true.

Jemaine Clement.
Josh Brolin is every bit as good an impersonator of Tommy Lee Jones as everyone on the web has been stating. He was amazing and very believable as a younger version of Mr. Jones. Speaking of Mr. Jones, he seemed very covered with a veritable mask of makeup in this movie. It was very disconcerting.

Josh Brolin (L) and Will Smith.
I thought that some of the best acting wasn't just from Josh Brolin, but also from Jemaine Clement who played Boris the Animal. I didn't realize until I looked him up that that is the same guy from "The Flight of the Conchords" and, I think, the same guy who narrates the Outback Steakhouse restaurant commercials. 

Emma Thompson and her lovely coif.
Her part was kind of small, but I love Emma Thompson, who plays Agent O, a love interest of Agent K. I don't just love her for her accent either, even if that high class British accent of hers does get me randy. Her hair was amazing in this film! Whoever did her hair should be commended. However, if that is the same person who did Mr. Jones 'makeup mask' it might be one of those things where they are only great every once in a while.

Will Smith astride a largely
disappointing 'space bike'.
There was a lot of stuff missing from the movie that was in the trailers though. I'm not sure if I have a problem with that because a lot of it seemed like excess material. The only thing that I had a real problem with were those space bikes. They looked awesome, but they couldn't beat a regular motorcycle on the freeway. That's the kind of disappointing and pompous computer generated effects that action movies need to stay away from unless the thing actually is astounding. 

Oh, the 3D wasn't necessary at all and there weren't that many scenes where it would've increased the enjoyment of the film.

I enjoyed it, but I kind of hope that that is the end of this series. Hollywood needs to get over its 'sequelitis' that it is making everyone suffer from. 

I give this movie a 4 out of 5. 

Favorite Lines:

(L to R) Josh Brolin as Young Agent K, Michael Sthulbarg
as Griffin, and Will Smith as Agent J.
Agent J: I'm looking for K, have you seen him? Sort of a surly, older gentleman, smiles like this... 
[J makes a poker face] 
O: K's been dead for over forty years.

Agent J: All right, pay attention... 
[neuralyzes a crowd] 
Agent J: Okay. You know how you kids won the goldfish in that little baggy at the school fair, and you didn't want that nasty thing in your house so you flushed it down the toilet? Well, this's what happened... 
[points to an alien fish being towed away] 



P. S. I want to watch the first "Men In Black" movie, but I am afraid that, because technological use in the movies has gotten so good over the years that I won't be able to appreciate this first movie. When I was younger I thought it was so awesome. I don't want to ruin it for myself. Oh, dilemmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment