Saturday, September 8, 2012

"The Hunger Games" Movie Review


"The Hunger Games" movie poster.
"In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim (Willow Shields), is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives." Written by Suzanne Collins (Link below.)  


So, I have just seen the much raved about "The Hunger Games" movie. I must say that I am not sure it was worth all of the talk.

Things I liked:

-The cast was amazing! I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss! She was beautiful, sexy and very strong! Josh Hutcherson was absolutely adorable though I would've liked him to have been a bit more love sick for Katniss. I love Stanley Tucci no matter what he does - he looks better in blue hair than Katy Perry does. Woody Harrelson was very good in his role, as well as Elizabeth Banks and Lenny Kravitz - he really surprised me. Donald Sutherland is a very sinister President Snow.

Stanley Tucci (L) and Jennifer Lawrence.
-The costumes were amazing! Though sometimes things were a bit garish in the Capitol it was still like watching an avant-garde runway. Loved the clothes!

-The sets were also amazing! I was wondering how they would do the Cornicopia. I would've loved to have seen it in gold, but the giant silver thing was fine.

-I don't remember the soundtrack very much, but the four-note tune that Rue and Katniss sang was very haunting. It reminded me of the song from "Pan's Labyrinth".

-The mockingjay pin was really nice.

-The design work on the posters and promotions was genius!

Jennifer Lawrence (L) and Josh Hutcherson.
Things I disliked:

-They made Gale really annoying from the get-go. He would never have chased away such a great prize as a 100 lb. doe! That would've sold for quite a lot! Not to mention the amount of food!

-I would've liked to have seen Madge in it. I connected with her, though she's not in the books that much.

-I think they jumped the gun with the riots starting before the games were even over. I was under the impression that they started in the second book.

Things I ABSOLUTELY LOATHED:

-The shaky camera thing!!!! I would've liked to have seen this movie rather than going "well, I'm sure that's exciting but I can't tell what the hell is going on!" The director should have his eyes gouged out! Who thought that was a good idea, really?! I could understand it during the hallucinations and when Rue was dying, but the whole damn movie?

-And so many close-ups! I felt like I was in Katniss's skinpores!

It was alright. It was enjoyable. I'm really glad I had read the books first to fill in the holes but also viewing this before reading them might have ruined the scenery in my mind. But the casting was perfect. So I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

I know one thing that would make me happy:
Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark.
Can I take him home? Pretty please?! He's so cute!!!

P. S. Those complaining about the "Battle Royale" similarities - they stole their idea from "Thunderdome" so F-off! And they don't have Josh Hutchinson!

Script available here: http://www.the-editing-room.com/the-hunger-games.html.

Favorite Lines:

Peeta Mellark: I just keep wishing I could think of a way to show them that they don't own me. If I'm gonna die, I wanna still be me. Does it make any sense? 
Katniss Everdeen: Yeah. I just can't afford to think like that.

Katniss Everdeen: So you're here to make me look pretty. 
Cinna: I'm here to help you make an impression.

President Snow: And so it was decreed that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice.

Stanley Tucci.
Caesar Flickerman: Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire!

Caesar Flickerman: And what did you say to her in the end? 
Katniss Everdeen: I told her that I would try to win. That I would try to win for her. 
Caesar Flickerman: Of course you did. And try you will.

Haymitch Abernathy: This is the time to show them everything. There'll be a bow, make sure you use it. Peeta, you make sure to show your strength.

Caesar Flickerman: So Peeta. Tell me. Is there a special girl back home? 
Peeta Mellark: No. No, not really. 
Caesar Flickerman: No? I don't believe it it for a second, look at that face! Handsome man like you! Peeta. Tell me. 
Peeta Mellark: Well, there, uh. There is this one girl that I've had a crush on forever. But I don't think she actually recognized me until the Reaping. 
Jennifer Lawrence
as Katniss Everdeen.
Caesar Flickerman: Well, I'll tell you what Peeta. You go out there, and you win this thing, and when you get home she'll have to go out with you! 
Peeta Mellark: Thanks, but I, uh. I don't think winning's gonna help me at all. 
Caesar Flickerman: And why not? 
Peeta Mellark: Because... she came here with me.

Peeta Mellark: So what happens when we get back? 
Katniss Everdeen: I don't know. I guess we try to forget. 
Peeta Mellark: I don't wanna forget.

Effie Trinket: May the odds be ever in your favor.


No comments:

Post a Comment