Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Brave" Movie Review

"Brave" movie poster.

"Set in Scotland in a rugged and mythical time, "Brave" features Merida, an aspiring archer and impetuous daughter of royalty. Merida makes a reckless choice that unleashes unintended peril and forces her to spring into action to set things right." Written by Walt Disney Pictures (Link below.)

I saw this movie in a little theater quite close to my house and it was slightly cheaper than at the mainstream theaters. Candy was a dollar or less. Anyway, I'm glad I saw it with my mother because it's a growing-up tale with strong family values tied to it. Merida needs to repair her relations to her mother, Queen Elinor, voiced by the incomparable Emma Thompson, but I won't spoil it by saying what happens as it would ruin the whole movie for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

Queen Elinor (voiced by Emma Thompson)
and Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald).
It featured the vocal the vocal talents of Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Kelly Macdonald (Helena Ravenclaw!), Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid!), and tv personality Craig Ferguson. I feel like such a happy nerd! I love all of these people!

It was very funny and I enjoyed it. The animation was beautiful. There must've been ten people just to work on Merida's hair! I don't know if this Pixar film will garner any big name awards *cough* Oscars *cough*, but it was very good and a delightful film. 

Favorite Lines:

Princess Merida: I want my freedom! 
Queen Elinor: But are you willing to pay the price your freedom will cost?

An image from the movie "Brave".
King Fergus: [from trailer] The ancients spoke of it. It is the heart of this fierce land. it is carried in the wind. Born of our legends and when we are put to the test, it is the one thing that we must always be.

King Fergus: [in flashback] I saw something that day, something I'll not forget. It stands 12 feet tall, with razor sharp claws. Its hide littered with the weapons of fallen warriors. Its face scared with one dead eye. I drew my sword and... 
[cut to the present] 
Princess Merida: CHOMP! Dad's leg was clean off! 
King Fergus: Awwwwww... That's my favorite part! 
[Merida giggles] 

King Fergus: Pretend I'm Merida, speak to me. 
King Fergus: [shrilly voice] I don't want to get married, I want to stay single and let my hair flow in the wind as I ride through the glen firing arrows into the sunset. 

Princess Merida: Mom, you'll never guess what I did, today! 
Queen Elinor: What's that dear? 
Princess Merida: I climbed up the Crown's Tooth and drank from the fire falls. 
[Hamish, Hubert and Harris look at her in awe] 
King Fergus: Did you, now? They say only the Ancient Kings were brave enough to drink the fire. 
Princess Merida: [Merida giggles and wrinkles her nose at Fergus]


No comments:

Post a Comment